Quick, before it's gone

 Even when I could still eat gluten with all its magical-stretchy-bread-baking qualities, I was never much into pies and quiches. Sure, I liked a good one now and then, but homemade pie crust seemed like too much work. So I was stuck with the store-bought ones, and even those with all their delicious gluten tasted like cardboard. Ick.

But in the last year, pie crust has become a challenge. I flatter myself with saying that I've mastered the cookie crumb crust, but really, that's not hard at all.  I've tried some other pie crust recipes (the best! the flakiest!) and been sorely disappointed with the results.

Until now. This pie crust is pretty darn good. Flaky. The flour combination is just right.

I used a tablespoon of psyllium husk instead of the xanthan gum. I find that the psyllium absorbs so much moisture that I tend to need add more. I used two eggs instead of one, and added a couple of tablespoons of cream to get it just right.


The filling is just shallots, sauteed until soft, four ounces of baby spinach wilted and moisture pressed out, a little bit of sausage, and red peppers. Lots of cheese, of course, and scallions sprinkled on top. And like any quiche, eggs and cream are a must.



If it lasts long enough, it's excellent for breakfast the next day, and even lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment