Leftovers I Crave

We had salmon the other night for dinner, and there was some leftover. Not wanting it to go to waste, I made this dish - my go-to recipe for salmon leftovers. I won't admit to buying extra salmon just so I can have this dish, but it is that good.

It's good either warm or cold, so it makes awesome leftovers of leftovers for lunch the next day - if it makes it that far. At my parents' house, if there's any of this dish in the fridge, you'd better stake your claim to it, eat it, or hide it from everybody else, because otherwise it won't be in the fridge the next time you look.

Leftovers of Leftovers
This is so easy to make, and pretty versatile too - you can use fresh fish or canned, whatever mild cheese you have around, and of course you can always adjust the seasonings to taste. Serve on a bed of mixed greens if you're wanting a more balanced meal, but it doesn't really need any dressing.

Salmon Pasta Salad



  • 8 ounces pasta (shells or elbows)
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/4 teaspoon thyme
  • 2 ounces cheese, grated (cheddar, parmesan, or monterey jack all work well)
  • 6-8 ounces salmon, cooked (or a can of salmon)


Cook pasta according to package directions and drain. Return to pasta pot.

Meanwhile, if using canned salmon, make sure it's been drained and picked over to remove any bones or dark meat. Use a fork to separate the salmon into smaller pieces.

Once the pasta is cooked and drained, add the butter, oil, and spices to the pot. Toss once, then let sit about five minutes. Add the salmon and stir, then stir in the cheese.

Serve either warm or cold. Serves about four.

Note: Originally, we used Penzey's Pasta Sprinkle for the seasoning, then added salt and pepper. I've long run out of my jar, but I always have basil, oregano, thyme and garlic on hand. I rarely take the time to measure out the seasonings for this dish. I just dump in the herbs until it tastes right. The measurements above are pretty close to my normal ratio, but if you want more of one herb and less of another, by all means, go ahead. You're the one eating it!

No comments:

Post a Comment