Save Some Room for Pie

I have to say this, as my first gluten-free holiday season winds down, at least I don't feel like I've overindulged. Well, not too much, anyway.  

Now, I  haven't exactly been the social butterfly I've been in years past, but still. Instead of worrying about eating too much at parties, I'm wondering whether I can eat...

But if anything this season has been an indulgence, it's been the sweet potato pie. Keep your pumpkin pie if you like. I'll take the sweet potato pie any day. Mike even thinks it tastes better than pumpkin pie. And he likes just about everything.


The cookie crust is a revelation, if I do say so myself. At Christmas dinner, my dad declared, "I don't even like pie crust. But this is good." You can use any kind of gluten-free cookie you like (or regular cookies, if gluten-free isn't a concern), but I like to use a blend of gluten-free gingersnaps and honey-graham cookies.

We had this pie for Thanksgiving. We had it on Christmas day. And we'll be having it again on New Year's Eve. An indulgence, indeed.

Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Pie


For the Crust:
  • 2 cups crumbs from gluten-free cookies (I use these and these)
  • 4 tablespoons butter, softened
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
Combine all ingredients until well mixed. Press into a 9" pie pan so the mixture covers the bottom, and pinch up the sides. You can press the mixture down with the tines of a fork too.

Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 5-10 minutes, being careful not to burn. (My rule is that it's done when it starts to smell good.)


For the Pie:
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup cooked mashed sweet potato
  • 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 4 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 9" pie crust
Beat together eggs, sugar, and sweet potato. Add milk, cream, butter, and vanilla. Pour into the crust and bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to 325 degrees and bake for 30 more minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

Serve cold.



No comments:

Post a Comment