I made bread!

There is no recipe for this one. There's no trying. We ran out of bread, and the store was out of the kind I normally buy, so I decided I could make my own for a change.

There's just one thing. My idea of a recipe is more like a suggestion. A guideline. An estimate of what you'll need, how long it might take, and the temperature at which you might consider cooking it. 

Guess how well that goes with baking gluten-free bread?

Not as bad as you might think, as long as you're willing to really work at it. I decided, in all my brilliance, to use potato flour, which apparently sucks up twice as much moisture as any other gluten-free flour I've ever used. Which meant there was an immeasurable amount of extra liquid - beer, milk, olive oil - that went into the dough.


When it first came out of the oven, I couldn't stop eating it. Alas, after a night in the fridge it had dried out considerably and turned into something that resembled slightly moist cardboard.

But still. I made bread!

No comments:

Post a Comment