Gluten Free Morning at City Cakes Cafe

Earlier this year, I mourned the loss of my Starbucks routine. A cup of coffee, a scone, and peoplewatching had always been the perfect companion for a few hours of writing and reading. But I was newly gluten free, and the milk in Starbucks' coffee was giving me abdominal cramps. Plus the idea of trading my scone for a Kind Bar was less than appealing. No offense if you love Kind Bars-they were just a pale substitute for coffee and a scone. Last but definitely not least, I felt like gluteny crumbs lurked in every corner, making me feel paranoid at best.

So I sat in my kitchen, in front of the computer, or on the patio when I had my coffee. I haven't been a frequent flyer at Starbucks since high school, but I still missed the ambiance, the experience, the option.





Luckily, City Cakes came to the rescue. They serve organic, fair trade coffee with milk that doesn't make my tummy hurt. They even have a separate milk steamer that's designated for non-dairy milks. And when it comes to baked goods, there's no shortage of  choices for those of us who need to stay gluten free - doughnuts, cookies, muffins, scones, even whole cakes to take home.



City Cakes has won its fair share of "Best of" awards in Salt Lake City, and it's easy to see why. It's not just because the coffee's good. It's not just because the allergy-conscious menu is delicious. The staff are always friendly, the sitting area is always blissfully crumb-free, and the atmosphere is always perfect for reading, studying, people-watching, or just chatting with good friends.

If you're ever in Salt Lake City, stop by and give City Cakes a try!

City Cakes
Vegan-Gluten Free-Traditional
282 East 900 South
Salt Lake City, UT
801-359-2239



P.S. This is a non-dedicated bakery, but I'm super sensitive and have never had a problem with any of the food I've had here. These folks know what they're doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment