Mint Fudge Ice Cream

I read an ice cream recipe one time that said no one should invest in an ice cream maker  because only newlyweds make ice cream from scratch, and even they only make ice cream once or twice before sticking the ice cream maker in the garage to collect dust.
                         
Well. I made that ice cream recipe (without the ice cream maker), and it was good. But with all due respect, my ice cream maker now makes an appearance in my kitchen every week or so. Maybe that's due to my gluten intolerance and a need to know exactly how my food is made, but a good ice cream maker is absolutely essential in my kitchen, thankyouverymuch.


Since I've gone gluten free, I've found that I have issues with some milk. Usually it's the "conventional" milks that give me trouble, but some organic milk gives me trouble too. I tried goat's milk, which left me feeling fine about half the time, but I had abdominal cramps just as often. I also tried soy, almond, and coconut milks. Not a fan. Plus, nuts might also be a problem for me. What a mess.

I've settled on the conclusion that I'm fine as long as I stick with organic dairy products from grass-fed cattle. You won't hear any complaints from me about that. It may be more expensive, but it's better for my body, better for the cows, and better for the environment. I buy local when I can find it, but I also like this brand, and this one.

I have a similar story about eggs. I would find myself wolfing them down only to have abdominal cramps an hour later. My body seems to do best when the eggs I eat are organic and from hens fed a "vegetarian" diet.

Try finding all that information on a carton of ice cream in the grocery store. I've tried all kinds of organic, nondairy, dairy, all natural, you name it ice creams in search of one that doesn't leave me feeling awful and seven dollars poorer. No such luck. So out came the old ice cream maker.

Without any further ado, here's my new favorite ice cream recipe. It's minty enough for my boyfriend, creamy enough for me, and fudgy enough for the both of us.

Mint Fudge Ice Cream


1/4 c mint leaves, washed (from about 10 small sprigs)
3 c whipping cream
1 c 2% milk
1 t vanilla
3 eggs
2/3 c granulated sugar 

Muddle the mint leaves with the back of a spoon, then combine with cream and milk in a medium saucepan. Heat over medium heat until the cream comes to a boil. Reduce to a gentle simmer, and heat 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently. Cover and let steep overnight in the refrigerator. 

The next day, strain mint leaves from the cream. Add the vanilla to the cream, then set aside.

In a large bowl, beat the eggs until light and fluffy. Whisk in the sugar, then whisk for another minute more. With a rubber spatula, fold the cream into the egg and sugar mixture. Pour into the ice cream maker, and churn according to your ice cream maker's directions. 

While the ice cream is churning, prepare the fudge sauce. Set aside to cool, but do not refrigerate, until the last five minutes of churning the ice cream. Pour in 1/3 to 1/2 of the fudge sauce and churn for three to five minutes more. 

When the ice cream has finished churning, spoon it into individual one-cup freezer safe containers (I use pyrex): Layer a large spoonful of ice cream with a glob of fudge, then another spoon of ice cream. If there's any fudge left, drizzle it on top of the ice cream. Put it in the freezer to set. 

According to the FDA, ice cream keeps 2-4 months in the freezer. Ha. If you're like me, it will be gone in 2-4 days
Fudge Sauce

1/2 c whipping cream
2 T sugar
1/8 t salt
3-4 ounces dark chocolate, chopped (I use three of these)

In a small saucepan, combine the cream, sugar, and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and stir in the chocolate. Simmer 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. If saving for later, transfer to a glass container, cover, and refrigerate. Otherwise, use as directed above.

Bonus: After emptying out the pan, pour a cup of milk and one tablespoon sugar in the pan, and heat over low heat. Stir constantly, scraping all that leftover chocolate into the milk. Pour into a mug. Now you have a pan that's a lot easier to wash AND a steaming hot cup of hot chocolate. Curl up on the couch and enjoy!





Nutrition Information*: Calories: 160  Fat: 10 g  Saturated Fat: 6.5 g  Cholesterol: 60 mg  Sodium: 45 mg Total Carbs: 14 g  Sugars 13 g  Protein 2.5 g




*Estimate. Using 1/2 c mint fudge ice cream as a serving, and this calorie counter.

P.S. None of the companies I linked to gave me anything to recommend their products. It's just what I use in the kitchen (and pay full price for).

No comments:

Post a Comment