A Little Pick-Me-Up: Low Carb Tiramisu


Tiramisu. A little boozy, a little chocolatey, a little creamy...basically it was the only dessert I craved the whole time Mike and I were in Italy. And we found it twice, in ten days, in two different restaurants in Venice. (I promise, I will share our gluten-free Italian adventures...soon!)

As welcome and delicious as they were, they were just prepackaged frozen desserts the restaurants carried for their gluten-free diners. 

Since it's been more than a year since I've made tiramisu, and since I've had a hankering for it lately, I made some last weekend. 

 The starting point for the crumb cake was this recipe, but I used a whole stick of butter, four eggs, and coconut flour, so not this recipe at all. Also, I used about 2 tablespoons of real-honest-to-God-sugar because I'm convinced that whatever the evils sugar holds, chemical sugar replacements (even the "healthy" ones) are ten times more evil than sugar. And they taste bad. So light on the sugar, heavy on the applesauce, lots of fat, and twenty minutes spent picking off the skins of the chickpeas to make it nice and smooth, and I have a new, untested cake recipe that maybe I'll make again and share here. Maybe.

The rest is your classic tiramisu, but with about half the sugar added into the cream mixture. Pure bliss.


Also, I'm super-proud of myself for getting the cocoa sprinkled evenly across the top. I used this, which I use for just about everything, but never powdered sugar. Just because.

No comments:

Post a Comment