Gluten-Free Lip Balm

I don't know about you, but my skin is taking the brunt of this winter weather. And my lips take the worst of it. To top it all off, I can never seem to find chapstick that's free of all the things I'm allergic to. There are a few out there, but they don't seem to work too well. So the only thing to do is make my own.



This recipe was super easy. The hardest part is the double boiler, and that's really simple. Just a heatsafe bowl or pan inside another pan. The bigger of the two is filled with water and brought to a boil. Then the ingredients go into the other one to gently melt the wax and oils. Easy peasy.



A double boiler in action. 
Lip Balm


For this recipe, I used ounces - one ounce beeswax, two ounces cocoa butter, two ounces coconut oil, one ounce olive oil. If you're going to use this much, I'd suggest at least 60 drops of essential oil. But if you're working with tablespoon measurements, 20 drops would be plenty. I used mint here, but there are tons of possibilities!

Ingredients

  • One part beeswax, chopped finely (if it comes in a bar, as pictured above)
  • Two parts cocoa butter
  • Two parts coconut oil
  • One part olive oil
  • +/- 20 drops essential oil

Melt the beeswax, cocoa butter, and coconut oil in the double boiler.

Meanwhile, measure out the olive oil, and add the essential oils to it.

When the wax and oils are completely melted, stir in the olive oil mixture.

Pour into sterilized lip balm pots. I used these cuties.

Let cool and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment