Roasted Radishes

I didn't think much of radishes until I decided to grow them a few years back. Why I decided to grow something I didn't like, I can't remember. (I do think it's a great strategy for trying new foods - the emotional investment in getting a vegetable to grow makes it taste that much better.)

Anyways, as the radishes started to come in I had to figure out what to do with them all. I'm not a huge fan of them raw - I can never slice them thin enough, and they're really just too peppery for me.


But roast them, and I'm in heaven. It's easy, can be done while you're cooking something else in the oven, and keeps pretty darn well.

Did you know radish leaves are also edible? I'm not a huge fan unless they're so young that the radishes haven't formed. I usually compost the leaves, but one of these days I'll try a pesto. Or better yet, I'll see what happens when I roast them. Radish leaf chips, anyone?

Radishes straight out of the dirt are best, of course, but the grocery store radishes work just as well. That's what I've been using, since I haven't had the garden space to grow radishes lately.

Roasted Radishes


The onion and garlic are optional here, but I love the way the flavors all meld together, so I usually use them. 

1 bunch radishes, washed, stems and leaves removed
1 small onion, sliced
2-3 cloves garlic, smashed
Salt and pepper
Olive oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

Slice the radishes to about 1/2 inch thick. Layer the radishes and onion in a baking dish. Tuck in the garlic. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then drizzle with olive oil. Roast for about an hour, stirring everything around once or twice during cooking.

Great as a side dish, or over toast.

No comments:

Post a Comment