Oh Hey!

How long has it been?






I know, I know. When last I left off, I was tying up a cookbook kick, reading cookbooks like there's no tomorrow. I still love cookbooks (always have, always will), but I'm on to a new kick.

Remember that Happiness Project? That sort of fell by the wayside too. I'm still very interested in doing one, but it wasn't the easiest thing to fall into the habit. For now, I'm focusing on being mindful of my mood. Maybe another Happiness Project will surface later on.

What I'm really doing right now is trying to plan a wedding (gluten-free) on a budget, from halfway across the country. Without going crazy. Sounds like fun, right?

Add holiday craziness to wedding planning craziness, and most days I'm just beat. I know I'm not getting enough fruits and vegetables (especially the vegetables). Maybe what's even sadder is that I eat more fruits and veggies than the average American, but I still don't get enough. How does that happen?

Anyways, I had toyed with the idea of doing a Whole30, but I just couldn't get behind it. No dairy for 30 days? No sugar? No alcohol? No way. But then yesterday, I watched Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead. One of my professors had raved about it and her juice diet while I was in law school. I thought it was interesting but never got around to looking into it.

Well. The film is fascinating. Of course I know you can change your life with food. I've done it. But the results these people have had are incredible. I especially like that the program lets you choose the iteration that's right for you (three days, ten days, etc.). And I noticed something as I watched the film - nowhere do they mention it, but this diet is also gluten-free. Unless you go adding wheatgrass (I know some folks say it's gluten-free, but I'm not taking my chances), the whole diet is not only gluten-free, but grain-free as well. And grains, be they gluten-free or no, seem to be our biggest downfall. It's cultural, it's taste, it's something that keeps bringing us back.

I'm starting with a three-day juice fast, but if it goes well, I might just go for a full ten days. Hopefully I'll remember to let you know how it goes.


No comments:

Post a Comment