Jail Kale Stew

Last weekend I tried out a different farmer's market. I was downtown for work, so I walked down the street to check out the Downtown Salt Lake City Farmer's Market at Pioneer Park.  Despite the rain clouds, it was a hopping place. 

The County Jail runs a three acre garden - inmates grow the crops and even get to sell the produce at the farmer's market, under supervision.  They use all heirloom seeds and no chemicals. It's such a great idea to give inmates opportunities to be productive, that I just had to support the program by picking up some kale.  It was some of the best kale I've had in a while-tender with just the right amount of crunch. 

Also in this soup are some of my garden tomatoes and peppers, as well as some purple pole beans I picked up at the farmer's market.   

Enjoy!


"Jail Kale" Vegetable and Sausage Soup

1/4 cup olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 bunch kale, torn into small pieces 
1 bunch green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces (about a cup)
1 large tomato, chopped
2 links hot Italian sausage
4 cups chicken broth
5-7 basil leaves, chiffonaded
Dash of thyme 
Dash of dried chipotle
Salt and pepper



No comments:

Post a Comment